The Difference Between Retaining Walls and Garden Walls
When you are faced with the question of how to make your place secure as well as appealing, wall designs can play a crucial role. The walls need to be long-lasting in addition to having an attractive appearance. There are mainly two types of walls used commonly: the retaining wall and garden wall. People often confuse these two terms and end up making the wrong choice. If you live in Oklahoma City, you can hire a retaining wall contractor in OKC, but to choose the right type of wall in the first place, you need to know these terms well.
What Is a Retaining Wall?
By definition, a retaining wall is a structure designed to hold the soil mass behind it. It is made with strong, rigid materials like concrete blocks, treated timber, stone, poured concrete, etc. This hardscape is tougher than any other wall, as it resists the lateral pressure of the soil.
There are several types of retaining walls, and here are some of the most common ones:
- Gravity walls are built with heavy materials like stone and concrete. Naturally, it has a better capacity of supporting the soil.
- A cantilevered wall is used for the large beams and footings of structures. The horizontal pressure is converted here to a vertical pressure on the ground below. It improves the strength to resist greater loads.
- For soft soil and tight spaces, sheet piling walls are used. These are made of steel and wood planks. The material is driven into the ground and differs depending on whether it is below the ground or above it.
- A bored pile wall is made by excavating the excess soil and then putting together a sequence of bored piles. This type of retaining wall may include earth anchors, improved operations of soil and reinforcing beams.
- An anchored wall can be constructed with any of the materials stated above, but with the added feature of the usage of cables to increase its strength.
What Is a Garden Wall?
The purpose of a garden wall and that of a retaining wall are quite different from each other. A garden wall is installed for enhancing aesthetics, whereas a retaining wall is built to support the soil mass. The former is much more fragile compared to the latter. An address pillar, lighting pillar, etc., are areas where a garden wall might be installed. This is smaller and lighter than retaining wall. The variations of garden walls depend on their style. You can select the material you want among tile, marble, wood and concrete.
The installation of either type of wall is not very easy to do on your own. It is better to contact a retaining wall contractor in OKC to get the job done. Consult a retaining wall contractor in OKC before choosing the type of wall that you need. ADC Hardscape is one of the best companies in wall installation that you can contact without any hesitation.